Thursday, September 6, 2012

rhetorical situation


     The Rhetorical Situation

Lloyd f Blitzer explains the rhetoric style in a way that was fairly complicated, but I think I got the gist. What I took from the article is that the rhetoric language is made up of three principles.
     One of these principles was exigency. I’ve never heard this word before and I believe it means something that isn’t good that’s being brought to an audience’s attention. So essentially, it’s like an argument but with more persuasive aspects pushing the audience to believe something should be done about a situation.
     The second principle was audience. What I took from this part is that it isn’t as much as the author keeping his audience in mind because it’s angled towards everyone, but that the audience must be willing to listen and keep an open mind. When he said an audience must be able to change, I thought that this was a key factor in the rhetoric style. It was saying that the writing is meant specifically for those who will be willing to understand and do something.
     The third principle was constraint. This one I had the most trouble understanding, but from what I understand, it is a factor that plays a role in the situation. It can show the authors’ beliefs as well as their proof. This one was harder for me to understand honestly mostly because of the way it’s worded I suppose.
     In general, it is important to have those three elements for the rhetoric style. Each one has its own important role in the style. And it is important to have the rhetoric response structured well. It was also easy to understand that a rhetoric response to a situation was like and answer to a question. What was confusing to me was when he said all rhetoric was persuasion, but in another line said that it shouldn’t be confused with persuasion. My guess is that it’s different because it’s more important and in-depth then simple persuasion. For the most part it was a little difficult to understand, but understanding these three elements and how they applied is what I took from this article.

No comments:

Post a Comment